1-10 Moray Place:
Designed by architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, and built 1859-60. A two storey terrace of ten houses the first of which was occupied by Thomson and his family from the building's completion, to his death in 1875. Classical in style and symmetrical between and including the pavilions, only the extra projection at the east end breaks the symmetry. Unlike traditional classical design which would have a central focus, here Thomson has doric pilastered pavilions projecting at the east and west ends of the front elevation and no central feature. These three bayed pavilions are topped by pediments. Bands of decorative carving range down the building above the ground floor level and above the first floor level. Throughout the lines are all rectilinear, and the use of pilasters continues this theme, nowhere do curves or columns feature, only the decorative flared chimney pots introduce a break from the straight lines and right angles.
Parts of the building have had the stone cleaned, this has proved problematic as can be seen between the junction between the uncleaned first house and the cleaned stone of the second, not so much because of the resulting difference in colour, but rather because the cleaning has removed the protective top layer of the stone exposing the weaker stone underneath. This weaker area of stone has then deteriorated more rapidly following its exposure. This can clearly be seen in the third photo below featuring the heritage plaque.
The building is A listed.
street address: 1-10 Moray Place, Strathbungo, Glasgow, G41 2BA
Latitude / Longitude: 55.837397,-4.273386 (sourced using Google Maps)
looking down the long north front elevation of the terrace, with the shorter east elevation to the left of the photograph. The east and west ends of the terrace each have a projecting pedimented pavilion feature at no. 1 and no. 10 as can be seen here at the east end of the terrace at no. 1 Moray Place.
pavilion feature at the east end of the north (front) elevation with three window bays, two storeys and a pediment on top. Note the dark surface patina on the blond sandstone showing it has not been cleaned
heritage trail plaque, note how the plaque sits exactly on the division between the two houses, the house on the right of the photograph has undergone stone cleaning. This has accelerated the deterioration of the sandstone as can be seen from the rougher more pitted surface on the right compared to the smooth surface of the house on the left of the photograph where the stone's top layer survives intact
looking up at the east pavilion
corner detail of east pavilion
portion of the central part of the terrace between the pavilions. The ground floor windows and doors are flanked by pilasters at the openings, the first floor has more dramatic relief with the pilasters acting like square columns and blank bays defining the division between neighbouring properties.
first floor decorative bandings
part way down the terrace, looking eastwards back along the north elevation
view of the march of the bays of the terrace's main body of houses
the west pavilion of the north (front) elevation
corner detail of the west pavilion
north-west corner of the terrace
top of the pediment atop the west pavilion
the decorative banding of the front elevation steps around the projection of the pavilion on the west elevation
chimneys atop the west elevation
view up the south elevation showing the plainess of this back elevation as in keeping with most housing. Devoid of decoration and carving and with a rougher finish to the stone rather than the smooth dressed stone forming the ashlar side and front elevations.
east elevation onto Nithsdale Road
doorway on Nithsdale Road on the east elevation
east elevation and side view of the projecting pavilion
back to top