Institute of Genetics / Pontecorvo Building - Sir Basil Spence:
Commissioned in 1958, construction began in 1962 on the Institute Of Genetics and was completed in 1966. Designed by Sir Basil Spence the original designs were for a ten or twelve storey tower, the final building is seven storeys. Latterly renamed the Pontecorvo Building after Professor Portecorvo from the Department of Genetics at the time of commissioning.
The tower is sited on the corner of Church Street and Argyle Street and at the south end of the Institute of Virology, a four storey building also designed by Spence and constructed 1958-62 (photographs to be added to this site soon).
street address: Church Street, Glasgow, G11 5JR
Latitude / Longitude: 55.870244,-4.297047 (sourced using Google Maps)
view of the south (Argyle St)and east elevations
the building is sited alongside the much older sandstone Anderson Building, also part of Glasgow University
top of the east and south elevations, note the modern addition of cladding on the tower to the right
missing metal panel on the rooftop block
south elevation, with the regular and irregular patterns of fenestration
view up the pre-cast panel covered south facade
deterioration of the tiled pre-cast panels
north and west elevation from Church Street, with the end of the Institute of Virology building to the left of the photograph
back to top